Another of the pillars of the dissemination of our direct democracy platform is the media. It is an institutional responsibility to make known through written press (online and on paper), radio and television the main milestones of participation to reach the maximum possible public.
In this section we break down some guidelines to know when and how to count on the means of communication to spread the news of participation.
When and why organize a press conference? In the processes of direct democracy linked to CONSUL DEMOCRACY there are certain milestones in which the press can be called for a press conference and / or send communications.
It can be a traditional press conference, in dependencies of the institution prepared for that purpose, but you can also think about an alternative location, which for some reason is linked to the process. All media press conferences must be accompanied by the delivery of a press release, images, voice cuts and / or video pieces. All this material also serves to spread the news in our own social networks.
Below, the communication milestones of the different processes that can be communicated are broken down.
- Announcement of the process: moment in which a proposal has reached the necessary supports and the voting is called. Explain the date of the voting and the participation mechanisms (example press release).
- Beginning of the consultation: on the same day that the possibility of voting opens, it is necessary to provide the maximum possible new information, such as voting start and end dates, if there are polling places (indicate hours), when it will be possible to offer the results, etc. (example of press release).
- Counting of votes: if there have been ballot boxes, it is convenient to carry out a voting count open to the citizens and also to the press. It is a good time to have a balance of the course of the consultation (example press release).
- Communication of results: once the participation of online and face-to-face voting is known (if there is one) and what the citizens have decided (example of a press release).
- Follow-up of the results: if the citizens' proposal is approved and incorporated into the municipal policies, the most important moments must be communicated (example of a post and another example).
- Announcement of the beginning of the process: the amount of the budget allocated to citizen projects is explained; dates of the phases; participation mechanisms, etc. It is advisable to coincide with the day in which you can start presenting projects so that, if the citizen receives the information, they can participate immediately (example press release).
- End of the presentation of projects: at this moment you can provide the total number of projects submitted by citizens and offer data by type of projects, by scope of action, etc. (example of press release).
- Beginning of the support phase: the population must be informed that it can start supporting projects to prioritize for the review and evaluation phase (example press release).
- End of the support phase: once the support phase is closed, you can count how many people have participated, total number of supports, information on the next phase of evaluation of projects and other information of interest (example press release) .
- Beginning of the voting: the last phase of the process has enough importance to organize a call with media. In it we must explain the voting mechanisms, if there are polling places, when it will be possible to offer the results, etc. (example of press release).
- Communication of results: once the voting is completed and the total participation data and the list of winning projects are available, an act in which the proposers are present can be organized. Each institution, depending on its possibilities, can use the most appropriate formula.
- Follow-up of the projects: from the approval of the municipal budgets of the following year, the citizen projects approved in the participatory budgets begin to be carried out. Once finalized, it is essential to communicate both to the proponents and to the population in general that the institution complies with the citizens' decision. It is the way to demonstrate the complete process.
- Announcement of the beginning of a public consultation prior to drafting a municipal ordinance, plans, regulations and guidelines or processes to receive contributions and opinions on municipal actions.
- Announcement of the results of previous public consultations.
- Monitoring of citizen contributions to the regulations: comments and contributions made by the participants in the resulting regulations can be communicated.
- Announcement of a public consultation: if the institution calls a vote to ask a question that it is raised by the citizens, it is advisable to organize a press conference (example press release).
- Start of the consultation: the same day that the possibility of voting begins, it is time to call the press. It is necessary to provide the maximum possible new information, as if there are voting points in person and schedules, when it will be possible to offer the results, etc.
- Voting count: if there has been a face-to-face vote, it is advisable to carry out a voting count open to the public and also to the press. It is a good time to evaluate the course of the consultation.
- Communication of results: once the participation of online and face-to-face voting is known (if there is one) and what the citizens have decided.